Taking Down and Taking Stock...


I don't know about you but I just can't focus on the year ahead before
 I've taken down the Christmas tree...

Even after the big day, as long as it's up I live in a kind of festive limbo. Never quite allowing the new year and all of its promise (and commitments) to permeate my little bubble. 

When I'm in the bubble, I can totally justify spending a morning watching old movies and pottering about till noon in my PJs. Lebkuchen becomes a completely acceptable (and encouraged) breakfast food. "I did a bit of knitting and then dithered on the Internet" is a typical answer to the question "What did you get up to today?"



But then January 2nd rolls around. 

It always sneaks up on me a little bit. How can a day so ordinary, so back-to-work, be so close to the celebrations and fun of New Year? 

To combat those January blues, you must, must, must get a pen and paper and plan! Honestly guys, I swear by it. Knowing all the awesome things you have in mind for the next 365 days, seeing them all in one place and (this is the important part) choosing to be excited by the prospect instead of overwhelmed...

This year, my head was literally so very full of dreams and goals I'm breaking them up into separate resolution lists for the different parts of my life I want to improve. To get the ball rolling, I wanted to share a few personal things I'm going to be working on in the year to come...

:: Refine ::
I'm going to go into more detail about this in a later post, but in brief, instead of my usual "I want to learn a million new things" attitude, I'm going to revisit some of the things in my life that I've dabbled in and hone my skills a little bit. Hopefully a lot more than a little! It's something I've been guilty of my whole life. I've always wanted to be into everything, but now I'm a bit older, it's time to become more of a master, than a jack-of-all-trades!

:: Let Go ::
This is probably going to be the hardest of them all, both to do and to define. It's about feeling happy with what I have, about accepting that I can't be good at everything and not beating myself up when I perceive some as being better than me at something. It's about choosing to either let the feeling go, or channeling it into motivation, to push myself to be better. It's also about relaxing more, if I possibly can, by pushing the things I really don't need to do out of my schedule. Inactivity has never been my strong suit, but I definitely think there should be more room to breathe in 2014!

:: Moisturise More! ::
OK, this one maybe doesn't have the gravitas of the others, but in all seriousness, I'm staring right down the barrel of the big 3-0 this year. I really need to up my game and get a proper skin care routine!

Have you got any personal resolutions you're working towards in 2014?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!